Today’s 10 Things That Make Me Happy is by Nubby Twiglet — design extraordinaire and coincidentally a fellow Portlander! One of my RSS reader staples, I love Nubby’s weekly “What I Wore” sartorialist-style posts, the fontalicious “Typofiles”, and “This Week In Pictures” in which I quite often get to do a little Portland spotting. ;) So without further ado, here are 10 things that make Nubby happy.
who: Nubby Twiglet
where: Portland, Oregon
1. dries van noten shoes – I own six pairs of this Belgian designer’s shoes because not only are they amazingly crafted (seriously, they wear forever) but the designs are truly breathtaking. My favorite pairs are the wedges from his Fall 2007 collection style.com
2. philosophy ‘vanilla birthday cake’ lip gloss –This lip gloss smells just as good as the name implies and wears extremely well. Yum! $12 philosophy [psst… get 25% off with coupon code: ENJOY through Friday, November 20.]
3. forever 21 – I’d been shopping at their stores for years when I was contacted by them earlier this year to design their fashion blog, The Skinny. They were an absolute dream to work with and I will be featured in their new magazine as well! forever 21
4. saint cupcake – Best cupcakes in existence. If you’re ever in Portland, Oregon, you MUST try one! $2.50 saint cupcake [Note: As a fellow Portlander I can vouch for their cupcakey goodness!]
5. nixon watches – I have been wearing a black version of their Chalet watch for close to two years now and the compliments never seem to stop. It’s streamlined enough that I can wear it while I’m designing all day and it doesn’t catch on anything. This watch is solid, simple, timeless and it matches everything! $120 nixon
6. moleskine planners – What can I say? Molskine makes the best planners because they have a secret pocket in the back and the paper is perfectly smooth. I would seriously be lost without mine. $10 moleskine
7. miu miu bags – I’ve loved Miu Miu since the mid-90s but it was never in my budget to afford any of their pieces. Finally, when I was graduating from my design program, I splurged on a bag as a gift to myself. Since then, I’ve added three more to my collection. They are all very well made, streamlined and I’m sure they will still be in my regular rotation in ten years. from $26/week miu miu
8. new york city – I was born and raised in Portland, Oregon, but New York is like a second home to me. I visit at least twice a year and some of my closest friends live there. I spent a month there this summer and lived in the East Village with my best friend, rode across the Williamsburg Bridge on the back of a motorcycle and freelanced for a marketing agency. New York always turns on the charm! nyc
9. house industries type posters – I just ordered a few of these screen-printed posters for my office. They’re fantastic quality and a great gift for those who are type obsessed! $35 house industries
10. mac studio fix – I’ve been using MAC Studio Fix for the last 10+ years and it goes on so smoothly that I don’t need to use foundation. Truly a time-saving, all in one base. Enough said. $26 m.a.c. cosmetics
Thanks Nubby! Alright, you’re next… what’s on your list?